Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tracktarded 2

Another sunday NASA race, another fun day for the tracktards namely Chris and Stephanie Chang and their support crew, me :) I had no intention of doing anything really but sometimes plans change!

First I was to preface this blog with my "track day nightmare." Joon's Tracktard Rule #1 - don't instruct. I love teaching people I trust, however I don't trust strangers. #2 - If I ever instruct I don't want to instruct anyone in a car faster then my own. Crashing in a Miata going 120 MPH is a lot more fun then crashing at 165 MPH in lets say a Supra with a huge turbo.

So while Steph is checking in for her race myself and Chris volunteer to "help out." If you know me I am very helpful. I have computer skills, mechanical skills, very organized, the list goes on and on. Joe Casella (NASA Northeast Chairman, PDA President, all around great guy) says "Joon, we're short a couple instructors, would you mind?" I'm like sure. Mind you I'm thinking, there are hundreds of cars, I'm bound in instruct a good driver in a SLOW car. I know the track, decent driver, good communicator, etc. Joe basically "assigns" a gentleman with, you guessed it, a 600 HP Supra. HAHA!

But I'm still alive, and my student was actually a very nice older gentleman that was most importantly a good listener. The car was a little too much for him but thats why people do DE, to learn from tracktards like me.

My reward for risking life and limb? Chris and Steph were nice enough to let me drive the Civic for one session. Honestly the most fun I've had on track in a long time. The Civic only has a top speed of about 125 which you basically reach 200 yards out of the last turn. You're floored in 5th for over half the track :) It's pretty interesting when Z06's are behind you because you have to start your point by when they are about a 1/4 mile behind you and then they go by at about 160.

But the lesson for the weekend is thank god for life, having passion can illicit a lot of joy, and having great people as friends is an incredible thing.

No comments: